Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Simple Chinese Pork

I don't know if any of you made Hilary's delicious Pork Potstickers. They were wonderful. And they took forever to make. I enjoyed them so much that I wondered if there were an easier way to enjoy the flavors. I decided to use the flavoring as a marinade and grill the pork.

1 lb pork or chicken or beef (you can slice it and then thread it on skewers to grill --who doesn't love food on a stick.)
2 Tbsp. minced chives/green onions
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. beef broth (I usually just put in a Tbsp. of water and a few boullion granules--plain water is also fine.)
2 tsp. minced peeled fresh ginger
1 tsp. sesame oil (this adds a lot of flavor, it's worth getting it.)
1 tsp. cornstarch

Mix together all the ingredients and let marinade for about an hour. It doesn't make a lot of marinade, so if you feel like it, you can double the marinade ingredients. You can grill this, broil it, or saute it in a frying pan--so long as the meat is cooked through.

Make the dipping sauce and dip your meat in it. I also like teriyaki sauce as a dipping sauce.

Soy-Ginger Dipping Sauce

In a bowl, stir together 1/4 c. soy sauce, 3 Tbsp. rice vinegar, 1 Tbsp. minced peeled fresh ginger, 2 tsp. sugar, and 1/4 tsp. sesame oil.

If you haven't tried it, rice vinegar is a lovely vinegar. It has a very mild flavor that is not as acidy as regular white vinegar.

I keep reading this over, and it doesn't seem clear some how. Let me know if I can clarify sometime when I'm thinking more clearly.

No comments: