Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Chermoula

I like an NPR show called The Splendid Table. A little bit ago, they had a segment on about cilantro and what you can do with it other than just Mexican food. This sauce is Moroccan and is traditionally served with fish as a marinade and a sauce. I used it as a sauce that we added on after broiling. The guest says she likes to have it with roasted cauliflower, roasted winter squash, chicken, or even stir it into couscous. These all sound good to me.

2 cups cilantro leaves (2 large bunches)
1 1/2 cups parsley leaves (1 large bunch)
3-4 cloves garlic (to taste), halved
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon coriander (I used 2 1/2 teaspoons of a cumin/coriander mix)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne (more to taste)
1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil, to taste
1/4 cup lemon juice

Coarsely chop the cilantro and parsley. Then place them in a food processor and chop very fine, or chop on a cutting board. You should have 1 cup finely chopped herbs.

Place the garlic and salt in a mortar and puree. Add a small handful of the chopped herbs and gently but firmly grind until the herbs begin to dissolve. Add another handful. When all of the herbs have been mashed, work in the spices, 1/3 cup olive oil and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings.

I don't have a mortar so instead, after I had the finely chopped herbs, I added chopped garlic and salt and tried to just mash it in with an ice cream scoop (it was all I could find that was vaguely pestle shaped). Then I added the other ingredients and just kind of mixed and attempted to grind. It's not quite as sauce-like as it would be as written but more has the consistency of a pesto. Still quite good.

2 comments:

Missa said...

Sounds good. Could you just keep processing this in the food processor? You know how lazy I am.

Ellen said...

Probably.It would be finer than I was able to get it. Try it and let me know how it works.