Thursday, March 5, 2009

Turtle Cake

This is one of Dominic's favorite cakes, which translates to very rich and chocolaty.

Note: For ease of transcribing recipes, I'll just write milk. For those with a milk allergy or intolerance, I replace the milk in all my recipes with a non-dairy coffee creamer, which works fine.

1 chocolate cake mix
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
5 T butter
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup caramel topping
1 cup pecans, crushed

1) Bake cake mix according to the package directions, using a 9x13" pan.
2) Toast pecans on a cookie sheet in a single layer @ 400 degrees for about 8 minutes. Put chocolate chips in a bowl; set aside.
3) In a small saucepan, mix sugar and milk over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add butter and bring to a boil; pour over chips. Stir until smooth.
4) Spread warm chocolate mixture over the cooled cake. Drizzle caramel over the chocolate. Sprinkle with pecans.

Serve warm or cooled.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

maryruth- sounds yummy!! i can't wait to make it. have you tried using cartons of soy milk instead of the creamer? i buy them in bulk, and they're really cheap.

Boo said...

Hilary - I've never used soy milk, but I would expect it to work, too. I've experimented with the creamer over the years, so I'm familiar with it. Do the same thing with soy milk, and you'll know what to expect in new recipes.