Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Tamarind-spice Glazed Roast of Brussels Sprouts,Onions and Chickpeas

I got this recipe from a weekly email I get called Weeknight Kitchen. It's from the NPR show Splendid Table (I believe I've mentioned it before). This turned out better than I thought it would be. Not that I didn't think it would be good, I just didn't expect it to be this good.

3 large garlic cloves
2 tightly-packed tablespoons fresh cilantro
1 inch piece fresh ginger, sliced thin
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 in pieces
1/2 to 3/4 pound Brussels sprouts, quartered
1 large red onion, cut into 1/4 in wide wedges
1 cup tightly packed arugula, curly endive or spring mix (I used spring mix)
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon cross over spice blend (basically a mix of 2 parts cumin, 4 parts coriander, and 1 part black pepper)
1 1/2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate or 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice with a bit of zest and 1/2 teaspoon sugar (I ended up using 2 tablespoons tamarind nectar, found in a can in the Mexican section of the store)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons oil (it was a bit oily so you could get away with 2-3)

Heat oven to 450 and put cookie sheet on the middle rack. In a food processor (I used our chopper) process the garlic, cilantro and ginger - don't puree them. Turn the mix into a large bowl. Add the other ingredients and toss to blend. Carefully put it all on the hot pan, spreading it all out. Roast for about 40 minutes, turning often and scraping the brown glaze from the pan's bottom, or until the peppers are tender, the greens are brown and chickpeas crisp.

Put into a serving bowl and add 1-2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate if desired. You can also garnish with more cilantro and plain yogurt. To make it a complete protein, serve with rice.

1 comment:

Ami O said...

I made this recipe too but felt the text was so poorly written it was hard to follow. Did you really roast the arugula?