Thursday, August 12, 2010

Mini Pot Pies (Sort of)


I put this together with leftovers. On Sunday we had pot roast with rosemary potatoes and yorkshire puddings. So the next day I put together a hash with chunks of meat, the potatoes (I boiled up another one for bulk), a chopped up carrot and some peas with gravy to hold it all together. I didn't have quite enough gravy so I made some more in the form of a white sauce with beef broth instead of milk. I didn't add other seasonings (maybe a touch of salt) because there were already seasonings on the meat and potatoes. To reheat the puds, I gave them a few minutes in the toaster oven.

Once I had all of this, I cut the tops off of Yorkshire puddings and filled them with the hash. You can either put the tops back on them and eat them like a sandwich or with a fork or you can put filling on both halves and eat it that way. They were so cute and surprisingly filling. Jason was done after two and I could have stopped at one and a half. Also, the little bit of rosemary from the leftover potatoes really infused into the whole thing.

Here is the recipe for the Yorkshire puddings from Allrecipes:

3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
2 Tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 375. In a medium bowl beat eggs with milk. Stir in flour, set aside (I did this step in a blender because that was how my friend in London did it). Divide butter evenly in the 12 cups of a muffin tin (about 1/2 teaspoon each). Place tin in oven until the butter boils. Remove tin from oven and divide the batter evenly. Bake 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake another 25 minutes or until puffed and golden.

Note: When I had these before, they had puffed up and then fallen so they were like little buttery filled sink holes. For some reason, this time they didn't fall the same way so I was able to cut off the tops for the next night. If yours turn out the right way then you can just pour the hash on top.

No comments: