This is a nice warm breakfast for cold mornings. It can be both warm and quick if you make it the night before and reheat individual squares in the microwave the next morning.
1/3 c diced apples
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 c + 2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 cups uncooked oats
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 Tbsp chopped walnuts
1 1/2 c milk
1/2 c applesauce
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 large egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 375 deg. F.
2. In a small bowl toss diced apples with cinnamon and 2 Tbsp of brown sugar.
3. In a larger bowl, mix oats, 1/3 c brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and walnuts.
4. Mix together milk, applesauce, melted butter, and egg and stir into the oat mixture. Fold the apple mixture into the oat mixture, too.
5. Pour into a greased 8" square pan and bake at 375 deg for 25 to 30 minutes.
Note: For a slightly quicker version, skip the apples and add raisins instead, mixing the cinnamon and 1/2 cup of brown sugar (rather than the 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp) directly into the oat mixture before adding the milk et al. Hmm, craisins might be good, too.