Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Applesauce

This one is an old family favorite that I had forgotten about.

Cheese Dreams
Whip up eggs with a bit of water or milk as if making french toast, omitting the vanilla and cinnamon if you use them in french toast. Dip one side of a piece of bread in the egg mixture and put it on a preheated skillet, egg side down. Add cheddar cheese and top with a second piece of bread dipped in egg, egg side up. Once the first side is brown, flip and cook until the cheese is melted and the second side is cooked. If desired, you can also add ham. (Yes, these are pretty much grilled cheese sandwiches with egg on the outside, the real difference is coming.) To serve, put on a plate and top with applesauce. Eat with a fork.

I know they sound strange but are actually really good. We had them for dinner the other day and it gave me an idea. This morning while having french toast for breakfast, I put applesauce on one of them instead of the powdered sugar I usually do. It was really great, like cheese dreams without the cheese. I'm thinking it's a good, healthier alternative to the uber surgary breakfast that french toast usually is.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Mmm, cheese dreams. My college roommates always thought they were weird, but who listens to them?

I also like to eat my pancakes with applesauce, especially if they happen to be oatmeal pancakes. Or potatoe pancakes, aka latkes. I highly recommend it.